Saturday 1 September 2012

Pied à Terre, Coeur dans les nuages.

Pied à Terre*: My best meal so far.
[14/01/2012]
It all started with the traditional… getting lost :o Once we found the-easy-to-miss-but-should-NOT-miss restaurant, we were asked if we wanted to go to the private area or the main dining area – private it was! It is such a cosy restaurant, nothing extravagant. While checking out the menus, obviously just couldn’t resist the tasting menu – 10 courses!! :D My sister wanted to go there; though we were excited about it, I don’t think we had high expectations. 
Bread picking – I never get it right SIGH. The first course, looking so dainty and fresh, was the perfect start to this meal (my memory fails to remember exactly what it was but I can still go back to the taste :)). Next, the mini selection of amuse bouche had this playfulness with its different textures: the ‘cheesy croquetas’, just sublime!


The truffle-poached duck egg was my favourite - so subtle and simple in its flavours but heavenly to taste (truffle can be my friend in small doses - woop! :)) Only minus point- it leaves you longing for more!
Our guide throughout the meal was the best – a Frenchie who explained the dishes beautifully and had a few chit chats with us without being intrusive (10/10). Somehow, I kept waiting for the downfall dish of this meal but no way had it happened at any point…
But what did happen was that we noticed the Thierry Henry lookalike who worked there and eventually came to say ‘Bonsoir mesdemoiselles’. :) :) The next part of the meal began with the marinated scallops with walnuts which were the best melt-in-the-mouth scallops you could possibly imagine, balanced with the nutty flavour and crunch coming from the walnut – DELICIOUS!


Ohhh come on I had to take a picture of the quirky fork and spoon! ;) We were both a bit hesitant about the seared foie gras but it surpassed our expectations. AMAZING!!! It is my second favourite after the poached egg dish :)


Let’s move on to the more ‘main course type’ dishes. The FISH, I am not a big fish fan, but oh well this must be the dream plate for a fishgasm! Perfectly cooked fish with this strong mushroom sauce which is by far the best sauce I’ve ever tasted. Meat-lover – yes it’s me! The plate not only looks but tastes divine. (Game time: Can you spot the 'escargot'/snail? It was my first time trying it, let’s say not what I would order usually)



Before dessert time, we had this funky little trunk that grew poppy seed crisps accompanied by a brie and a tomme fromage (the Frenchie explained to us that this was a special type of ‘tomme fromage’). Very nice cheese plate :)

The first dessert was a great palette cleanser, a panacotta covered with a fruity gel. The next one is a whole different story honey. Valrhona Caramelia Chocolate Crème, Agen Prune Compote and Tonka Bean Ice Cream, I don’t think I need to say more.


'Coffee' pour elle, 'jasmine tea' pour moi, petit fours pour nous in the bar/coffee room upstairs to end this meal I will never forget.

Pied à terre, je t'aime and I hope to see you again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment