Saturday 15 September 2012

Foovies! 1.

Huh?!
Wondering what I’m on about? Food + Movies = Foovies!
After showing off my maths skills to the world (HAH!), quick googling to check whether it’s already out there. Shocker: it is! It can relate to a dinner and movie night but here, it’s just about movies having as main star… food :)
Food plays one of the biggest parts in our daily lives so it’s always nice to see movies live up to reality :) There are not that many movies about food sadly - I so wish they had more! Below is a list of ‘foovies’ that I like (in no particular order and with NO spoilers):
Woman on top
Love, motion sickness and art of cooking.
I personally think it’s about the magical combination of food, music, love and voodoo :O
The main character and I share the same dream: (nope you got it wrong!) to travel the world and become a chef. Once again, the main character, a goofy Brazilian ‘wannabe-chef’ (played by the beautiful Penelope) runs away from her husband who cheated on her because of [no spoiler I said]. Oh yes, the excuses men come up with EEK! Extract from a review: ‘Cruz is adorable in the lead, and with food as a metaphor for life she learns that she does not need a man in her life, she needs to cook and be her own woman.’

All girls with a tainted heart, watch it it’s such a feel good movie!! And guys… hmm you might learn a few lessons (depending on how daft you are, OOPS).

Waitress
I remember seeing the perfect line about this movie somewhere: ‘Small film, big heart’.
This is such a ‘sweet with heart-wrenching moments’ movie - none of the typical Hollywood storylines and beautiful acting from the actress, Keri Russell. She’s a waitress who comes up with these delicious pies, with ‘uh-mazing’ names, and hopes that her pies will help escape from… a very unhappy marriage. ‘The pies she bakes are based on her hopes and dreams, as well as the desperation of her life such as the “I Don’t Want Earl’s Baby” pie.’

Bring on the tears if you are like me :) 
Chocolat (Please leave the ‘t’ out when you say it, thank you!)
The 3 J’s make it: Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Juliette Binoche :) I have to add I’m a bit turned off by Depp since the Paradis drama. Back to the movie! I think it represents well all the emotions one could associate with chocolate – never-ending list but especially passion, the dark side of chocolate, temptation and the unexpected. What I love about this movie is that how easy it is for someone to make others happy just with their precious talent of making good food.  People always (ok, more often than not) react not very nicely to outsiders and this is a very good lesson about being more open to others, etc. All of this coupled with a dose of French quirkiness, Je Love! :)
Warning: get a box of chocolates ready for the after-movie treat, you’ll crave for one!
There it is my first list of movies, a few more I need to write about or watch. If ever you have watched or you do watch any of them in the future, let me know your thoughts. :)

P.S. Hope you catch the ‘foovies’ too.

No comments:

Post a Comment